Free Estonian Lace Pattern - Silvia - June Entry

Happy summer everyone! 
June is almost over - I am enjoying the weather and my ever-changing garden. So far it has been very nice here in New England: not too hot, not too rainy and not too buggy. Flowers are blooming and the kids are finally done with the school. 
Anyway - back to the business of knitting. 

Here is my June Entry for Estonian Lace Shawl Challenge that I imposed on myself in January. By the way if you are wondering what do I do with the shawls - I am selling them in my Etsy store All Knitted Lace.

This month I used a very traditional pattern: "Silvia". Did you know that there are at least 3 variations of this pattern? I should write a blog post about it at some point. Anyway, enough talking, here is the shawl:
 
 
And a close up

 

I used KnitPicks Bare Shadow Lace Yarn
Fiber Content: 100% Merino Wool
Weight: Lace Weight
Yards: 880
Grams: 100

Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm)

How I did it

Main body of the shawl
Cast on 92 sts, work 8 row in garter st, then continue as follows:
RS rows: k4, * 21 sts follow scheme below, repeat from * 4 times, k4. 
WS rows: k4, p to last 4, k4 (pay attention to nupps!)

I worked the scheme 16 times and finished with 8 rows of garter sts. Cast off all sts. Then I picked stitches  along all 4 sides at once on a long circular needle, and added scalloped edge.
 

Pattern for scalloped edge   (number of sts - multiples of 13): Row 1(RS): *k2tog, k2 tog, k2tog, (k1, yo) x6 times, k1, ssk, ssk, ssk, repeat from * to end. Row 2(WS): Purl all repeat rows 1 and 2 until desired length is reached. 
Cast off all sts.
 
Size after blocking: 62 x 21 inches.



Happy Knitting in July!
Natalia

Comments

  1. This is a fabulous pattern, and it's on my To Do list, but I cannot see a key to the chart, and I don't recognize some of the symbols. Where would I find the key, please?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment